Rob Laser and the Laser Law Firm utilize their experience to provide the sophisticated guidance necessary to traverse healthcare’s regulatory minefield. After spending time representing large healthcare systems and national practices and facilities, Rob now focuses his healthcare practice on representing small and medium size healthcare providers in the Middle Tennessee and surrounding areas.
We serve as counsel on a range of issues for providers, including advising on regulatory and compliance issues; navigating disputes with payers such as claim audits or recoupment attempts; conducting training and policy development related to billing or HIPAA/HITECH regulations; conducting internal investigations; and responding to government investigations surrounding whistleblowers, qui tam lawsuits, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and enforcement actions brought by Department of Justice (DOJ), Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General (HHS-OIG), and various state agencies. As a Nashville healthcare attorney, Rob Laser also represents providers in advising on operational matters related to their emerging practices and spotting potential legal issues that practices may unexpectedly “grow into.”
Examples of Industry Experience
Rob Laser has represented individuals or entities in a vast array of healthcare sub-industries, including the Pharmacy, Skilled Nursing Facility, Hospice, Surgery Center, Physician Group, Ophthalmology, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Language Pathology, Psychiatric, Home Health Services, Pediatric Care, and Hospital or Health System fields. In total, the amount in dispute for healthcare matters with which Rob has provided counsel surpasses 3 billion dollars.
A sample of matters for which Rob has counseled these types of providers include:
- Representing multiple local providers on formation and growth issues, including development of compliance programs and training and conducting internal audits and risk assessments.
- Successfully navigating numerous payer disputes on behalf of providers related to claims in both commercial and government plans.
- Conducting internal investigation and advising pharmacy in response to government inquiry surrounding Medicare and Medicaid billing practices.
- Representing billing consultant to skilled nursing facilities related to Department of Justice investigation involving False Claims Act and Medicare fraud allegations.
- Advocating on behalf of a local physician group and surgery center in investigation related to False Claims Act and Medicare fraud.
- Advising non-profit organization related to allegations of Medicare and tax fraud.
- Directing internal review of multiple providers with regards to potential HIPAA data breach or wrongful disclosures of PHI.
- Counseling physician practice in relation to numerous allegations brought by DOJ, including misbranding claims.
- Representing local home health services company related to government investigation into Medicare billing.
- Advising hospitals and hospice provider regarding False Claims Act allegations brought by Department of Justice.